Saturday 8 May 2010

Ikon

ONE of the shows I have been meaning to project my feelings on into the magic world of the internet, because I am entirely sure that people are waiting ON THE EDGE OF THEIR seats for my opinion.

WELL I'll hope to it, over easter I went to the IKON gallery in Birmingham, which is a REALLY nice gallery (and does some jolly good food also), the 2 exhibitions I saw where Susan Collis 'Since I Fell For You' and Ron Terada 'Who I Think I Am'.

Susan Collis' piece consisted of piece of wood and things that look like you would find on a building site placed in different parts of the gallery space, also there was a dripping into a bucket which created an odd atmosphere, not unlike a clock that slightly too load and makes you feel like you're running out of time. I have to say I wasn't massively excited by the piece, there were some interesting aspects though and some of the things Collis said in the program speak directly about materiality which was obviously beneficial for me to read for the project.

I really enjoyed the Ron Terada exhibition, he himself said he'd named it 'Who I Think I Am' because he wanted people to know the show reflects his awkwardness; this is something I respect and understand. One of the highlights of the exhibition was 'soundtrack to an exhibition' which was a room in the centre of exhibition with a projection of a record player (thats playing) and there's essentially a mix tape playing which you can hear in the rest of the exhibition. With good music. I enjoyed this. Self indulgent in a good way. The rest of the show uses a lot of text, which I respond to as it speaks to how I work a lot, one of them is a wall covered in plaques which are like his story. The whole show is to some extent his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment